Tar and Abby

Saturday, August 6, 2016

Swimming with Olympians

When we moved to this tiny town my brother and I joined the swim team. We did not realize we were in the halls (pool) of greatness -
"Over a 14 year period one of the OF swimmers was on every Canadian Olympic, Commonwealth, or Pan American Games team. Under Coach G’s direction the team won 26 national competitions and half the Olympic team in 1964 was from his club."
The white building was where our pool was located.
The pool. Hundreds of laps swum in that pool.
One of the boys we swam with was on the 1972 Olympic team and was in the finals in two events.

Brother and I both became excellent swimmers and I worked as a life guard and swimming teacher when we moved back to the States.

4 comments:

anne marie in philly said...

mark spitz was the medal winner in 1972, IIRC.

Bob Slatten said...

I saw the building, and saw you say pool [halls], so I figured you were pool sharks!

mistress maddie said...

Sooooo, when you get East ever, maybe I should schedule swimming lessons from you! Great story. I like when you share your pass jaunts with us.

Jeanne said...

I found this post interesting, especially the photos...especially since I live in the town which is home to the US Olympic Committee.