Tar and Abby

Wednesday, March 30, 2016

warning! math post!

In my time of tutoring I have had to tutor math. I loves it. I took a student and got him up to 2 years past his grade level (5-7) Loved the look on the administration's faces when they observed that.
But the reason the student and I did so well is we learned it together and we had fun.

So the book is this:  The Math Myth: And other STEM delusions by Andrew Hacker

The article about the book had an equation: (y + -3) x 2 = 4y - 12
I solved using my own rather strange way. Did I get it right? Well, I looked it up. And yes, I did, but OMG! No wonder kids get discouraged!


Simplifying
[y + -3] * 2 = 4y + -12

Reorder the terms:
[-3 + y] * 2 = 4y + -12

Reorder the terms for easier multiplication:
2[-3 + y] = 4y + -12
[-3 * 2 + y * 2] = 4y + -12
[-6 + 2y] = 4y + -12

Reorder the terms:
-6 + 2y = -12 + 4y

Solving
-6 + 2y = -12 + 4y

Solving for variable 'y'.

Move all terms containing y to the left, all other terms to
the right.

Add '-4y' to each side of the equation.
-6 + 2y + -4y = -12 + 4y + -4y

Combine like terms: 2y + -4y = -2y
-6 + -2y = -12 + 4y + -4y

Combine like terms: 4y + -4y = 0
-6 + -2y = -12 + 0
-6 + -2y = -12

Add '6' to each side of the equation.
-6 + 6 + -2y = -12 + 6

Combine like terms: -6 + 6 = 0
0 + -2y = -12 + 6
-2y = -12 + 6

Combine like terms: -12 + 6 = -6
-2y = -6

Divide each side by '-2'.
y = 3

Simplifying
y = 3

7 comments:

anne marie in philly said...

THIS is only ONE reason I hated math...

Bob Slatten said...

I saw the warning and I STILL came in here.
Now my head hurts!
Solve for 'y', you ask? Why? Indeed!

mrs.missalaineus said...

i love this post

that is all

xxalainaxx

Jeanne said...

I'm with anne marie and Bob! My head hurts! Math never was nor never will be my forte`. Loved geometry though.....

I look at what my (young) grandkids are learning in their math class and I scratch my head in wonder! What is the world coming to!

Mr. Shife said...

You lost me at math. =)
I hope they fix this mess before Kyle gets too far along. He loves it right now, and this stuff is just going to frustrate all of us.
He owes you a thank you card, but he loves the book. He's going to have a lot of fun reading it.

Greg said...

Brain...hurts....

Fearsome Beard said...

Like Bob I saw the time yet still read the post. Wow I didn't know the trauma from high school would resurface so early in the morning.