Tar and Abby

Saturday, March 19, 2016

high school scientists

Image result for Caenorhabditis elegans, public domain 

This fellow/lady is a round worm or, Caenorhabditis elgans.
A small town high school, close to us, has been awarded a $7000 grant to conduct scientific studies of the worm. Real science, high school kids, worms - what could be better?
I loved biology in high school and loved it in college. One of many majors I wish I could have crammed in. We ran our own unofficial biology lab in the house where we housed and fed any number of critters the neighborhood tribe brought to us. Favorite memory neighbor boy calling to me, while I was making dinner, 'Mrs. P! Mrs. P! Look - it is eating the guts out!! You gotta see this!'
(Preying mantis eating a grasshopper - nature is nature and boys will be boys :-)


 

6 comments:

Bob Slatten said...

As the son of a high school and college chemistry, biology and science professor, I loathed chemistry, biology and science.
That's just how it worked out,
.
Nice worm though ... i guess.

anne marie in philly said...

science and math were never my faves; history, english, french were my faves.

mistress maddie said...

even though I took the art road, I must admit I did love biology in school. It was always fascinating.

Sadie J said...

I loved science in grade school, not so much in high school, I really think it depends on the teacher-- but that's true for every thing.

Jeanne said...

That marvelous! I love it when high school or lower grades get so involved!

Mr. Shife said...

Awesome. The world could definitely use a lot more people interested in science.