Tar and Abby

Tuesday, November 11, 2014

A veterans' day story



Grandpa Willis Thirtyacre (last name was translated from the German Dreissigacker when the family immigrated) was a driver for a Colonel Weyrich during WW1. Like many immigrant families the children grew up with a combination of the language of the old country, in their case for both men German and English. Their language tended to get mixed up in times of stress.

One day Willis was driving the Colonel when they came under fire from German shells.
The Colonel, in his panic, lasped into German and yelled, "Gott in Himmel, Dreissigacker!! Schnell!!Schnell!!'
And they schnelled out of that area in a hurry.

3 comments:

S'A said...

The town I grew up in (and still live in) was settled by German immigrants in the 1800's and there was still a large part of the population that spoke German as their first language when I was younger. Even now, 150 years later, it still pops up on occasion!

S'A said...

Okay, I don't mean 150 later in my life, but in the life of the town. I'm not sure that came out right the first time!

Professor Chaos said...

Willis Thirtyacre is about the coolest name I've ever heard!