Tar and Abby

Wednesday, February 26, 2014

mystery vine

Whilst looking in the backyard for possible gnome habitats I came across this vine.
We have a shed that is half covered with ivy and then this showed up having grown all
thru the ivy.
I've looked up elder berry, I know virginia creeper. It has this tri-pointed leaf. The small leaves start out slender and then they grow points. You can see it starting on the upper left leaf. The leaves are individual and not in whorls or clusters. The berries don't seem to be eaten. They are purple and are turning brown. I have not seen any bird or squirrel activity in the area.
I sent the picture to a friend who is a Master Gardener and hoping she can send it up the line to the WSU extension office.
ps - I taped down the big leaf so we could all get a good look at it.
UPDATE: blooming english ivy - who knew....?

6 comments:

Bob Slatten said...

Is it a beanstalk and is there a pot of gold up at the top?
Send gnomes!

the dogs' mother said...

Oooo!
otoh, maybe there is a giant at the top of the vine...

anne marie in philly said...

we have this vine growing around the back of my office building. it's ugly right now, but when it wakes up, it covers an old eyesore facility with its green leaves and dark purple berries.

mistress maddie said...

If no birds are squirrels are touching it, they know what we don't, so they may be poisonous. I have seen this once, I wonder if it is of the common pokewood or in the nightshade family. Bitterwseet sweet nightshade usually has little flowers though, but could be a variety of nightshade. Keep us posted!

Jeanne said...

Interesting... I am stumped! And I know A LOT of plants on sight.The leaves are similar to a passion flower but the fruit isn't right for that.
Please do keep us posted.....

Katy Noelle said...

Cool!