Tar and Abby

Sunday, October 20, 2013

uh-oh! we're sorry!

We saw this little fellow on the river walk we take. He was in the middle of the path and sure to get
stepped on, run over or snuffed up by a dog.
We rescued him and it took some effort as we had to have light hands so as not to squish him.

We found out he is part of an infestation of Army Worms as informed in today's paper.

"Army worms are back this fall, slithering into homes, damaging lawns and eating hay crops."

Ooops.

Read more here: http://www.tri-cityherald.com/2013/10/19/2633371/army-worms-are-back-in-the-mid.html#storylink=cpy

3 comments:

mrs.missalaineus said...

we have similar issues with tent caterpillars up here. you want to like them, but it's better for the greater good to squish them.

xxalainaxx

Bob Slatten said...

He looks so innocent for a domestic terrorist.

Katy Noelle said...

When Lliam was five, I wandered out the kitchen door, one day, to see pretty striped caterpillars - eight of them, in fact - devouring my one potted parsley plant. Not wanting the pests, I squashed them all but it was terribly traumatic for me (not to mention for them.) They would pop out of their skins when I tried to squish them and when I finally did squish them - well... they were fat and juicy and I was almost in hysterics by the time I brutally murdered them all. A week later, Lliam's kindergarten teacher asked for us to look for monarch caterpillars. They wanted to 'hatch' them in the class. Of course, the description fit my eight perfectly. I felt ill for years!!!!

Last year, I found small caterpillars on my tomatoes and, having learned my lesson, left them there only to come out a few days later to find that they had grown to GINORMOUS dimensions (Nasty, green, horned things!) and had stripped my two four feet tall tomato plants completely bare!! What's worse, the monsters would turn and challenge me if I tried to pick them off. This time, though, I had internet! It turns out that they're a moth that devours tomato plants. A prolific pest! I went out and enlisted Tom to help me pull the suckers off and the chickens had a field day - the worms experienced lightning pecks of death from above. Vengeance was sweet!

And, as the caterpillar adviced Alice, I am at the end so I will stop!

;)