Tar and Abby

Saturday, June 22, 2013

This is a daschund. Really

When I was growing up we were owned, hectored and supervised by a daschund named Cindy. If you've ever read E.B. White's writings about his daschund, Fred, then you know the breed.

Cindy used to grab the mail when it was pushed through our door slot by the mailman. Many bills were paid and mailed back with decorative teethmarks and holes in them. One day we had freezing rain. My brother and I (teenagers at the time) rang the doorbell. Cindy came charging. We opened the door and Cindy went sliding. Down the two stairs, down the entry sidewalk, made a right hand turn and continued down the sidewalk down the hill. About then, between laughing and gasping for breath, we were directed to go rescue the dog by our mother.

Eventually Cindy went to the great backyard in the sky. I don't know who did it first - but every time we saw a scruffy seagull we recognize it as Cindy re-incarnated.

Here is a Cindy I saw last week. Thirty years after her passing Cindy is still around to keep an eye on us. She also appears in Southern Oregon and San Francisco. 


3 comments:

Elizabeth Rose Stanton said...

Well, from now on, when I see a seagull, I know what I will be thinking ...

Katy Noelle said...

What a great story! =)

Katy Noelle said...

(Oh, please don't expect wit! I need more coffee!! =P)