Tar and Abby

Monday, June 11, 2012

elementary STEM school?

Seattle is planning an elementary STEM school - heavy on the science, technology, engineering and math. (Still having to hit the standards for language arts and social studies, etc.) I'm not sure what I think about this. We recently opened a STEM high school here after all the kids graduated. I think Eldest and GB would have applied to attend it.
Another article, can't find the link at the moment, revealed that companies are aggressively courting science and engineering students at colleges in the state. Microsoft called GB as a sophomore. I can see, especially in this climate, the appeal of getting your child in on the ground floor.
On the other hand...
What do you all think? Educators? Parents? Is there going to be anyone left to uphold the written and visual arts? (Degree in Communications here who has made a meager living with the written word.)

5 comments:

lacochran's evil twin said...

There certainly *should* be a place for all of it. Sigh...

mrs.missalaineus said...

i think the general consensus about the STEM curriculum is that if enough school districts adopt it, america will magically be better on standardized testing for math/ science score results (like the timms to name a biggie). however, if we can't teach/ test kids on a common set of standards across the 50 states, then keep allowing the rediculosity of creation 'science' in the classroom, and keep blaming teachers for things they have no control of, no matter what curriculum we adopt, we will still be leaving our kids far, far behind.

xxalainaxx

Tivo Mom said...

my biggest issue is that all of this stuff is starting so young. Down here in Florida, kids have to declare a major or track they want to be on by Middle school (in the public school system. I still dont know what I want to be when I gorw up and they want my 11 year old to pick something. We do have 2 of the best fine arts schools in the country (one middle, one high) but you have to apply to get in and all of the other schools are severely lacking in the fine arts. I just want my children to be children and be well rounded. Too much to ask?

MakingSpace said...

The cynic in me thinks the whole STEM thing is a tool of the U.S. military/industrial complex. I'm pretty cynical, maybe. But I don't get the impression that STEM is a pure "let's all get up close and personal with science for the warm fuzzies of it all" thing.

In the interest of full disclosure, I have bachelors and masters degrees in vocal performance, and I make my living teaching children whose parents can afford my rates how to do the music their schools no longer teach.

And I blame NCLB for - oh, almost everything.

But I'm not bitter.

Elizabeth Rose Stanton said...

I don't even know where to begin. STEM people need the liberal arts. Combine strong technology training with strong arts training and POW! Think Leonardo DaVinci.