Tar and Abby

Sunday, March 25, 2012

He made it!!!! UPDATE - he made it back!!


UPDATE - he's back from the bottom of the world. Sub is at the left, bright green.
original 1960s sub Trieste built in 1953, reached Mariana Trench in 1960
I've seen, and touched, the TriesteII - total geek moment.

Deepsea Challenger

I have totally been geeking out about James Cameron's planned dive to the bottom of the Mariana Trench - 36,201 feet deep, the deepest part of the ocean. Pressure there is over 8 tons per square inch.

Today he made it!! He's down there right now!! Plan is to film for six hours and then come back up. I will not be able to sleep until we find out if he gets back okay.

There are all sorts of things to be said for these fellows who take science and spin it off into adventure land - there are so many other things to spend money on - super models, fancy cars, mansions and rehab.

UPDATE - good article about his voyage HERE

6 comments:

mrs.missalaineus said...

loves this!


xxalainaxx

MakingSpace said...

Total coolness! Of course, it could be noted that Mr. Cameron has probably spent a lot of money on at least some of the other things on your list...

froggy said...

Looked it up - five wives!!
bwa-ha-ha!

Sam said...

One of the exes was Linda Hamilton from Terminator fame.
I cant wait to see what footage he has!!!!!

Joy said...

YAAAAAHHHHH! I'm hyperventilating!!! My greatest fear is the Marianas Trench!! Pictures! You have pictures! I'm actually serious. Can't think about it, much less look at photos of it. I know it's an unrealistic fear, but I have it anyway. All of the trenches actually but especially that one because it's the deepest. YIKES!!!

I also think my car will blow up when someone throws a cigarette out of the car window in front of me. I think I'll drive over it and blow up. Watch too much TV.

I'm not crazy.

Joy said...

Or as my British friends say, "I am not mad."