Tar and Abby

Friday, June 17, 2011

In a Martha Stewart/Happy Hannah Homemaker moment

I decide to make my own vanilla extract. You order these beans and bottle, fill with rum, vodka or brandy. GB supplied the rum and vodka and the told The Engineer to go buy me some brandy. What?! I've been able to purchase booze since long before he was born! But, then again, he knows me well, I don't even know where the liquor stores are... (in this state you buys your booze in a state run store).

So I was slicing beans, two different ways, filling the bottles with booze, spilling it everywhere, getting it all over my hands and then I remembered.... Restoration Man is coming by this morning to pick up a flooring sample and he's going to see me as the drunken housewife at 9 in the morning. AK! I've been cleaning and scrubbing, maybe I should gargle with Free-breeze?

You can buy this stuff at Chinaberry.com along with great kids books and fun odds and sods.

12 comments:

Big Shamu said...

Look at you, making your own vanilla extract. You can do the same thing with vanilla flavored sugar.


Hey, on a separate note, what did you think of the finale of TC Masters?

froggy said...

I liked all three of the finalists. Was a bit odd that one was married the former husband of another... but whatever. Was an interesting challenge. I remember my mom trying out recipes when she had to do a lot of dinner parties. We had an actual dining room with white flocked wallpaper, french doors, a butlers pantry and a crystal chandelier (this was company housing). Top Chef always brings back some good memories - so many are based on food or around the occasion of eating.

Big Shamu said...

I didn't get to watch the finale but I did catch up on the previous two episodes that led up to it. I thought the challenge of making identical dishes with someone you can't see was brilliant. Also pairing up the chefs with scientists was fun too.

froggy said...

All in all, a good season. I like the Masters series. Tried the premier of Rocco D. and only lasted 7 minutes. Seemed to be more based on how quickly he could crush a cheftestant than anything about food.

Big Shamu said...

Ewww. No way. I won't even give him that long.

mrs. miss alaineus said...

i love the smell of real vanilla extract!

xxalainaxx

MakingSpace said...

Excellent - your own vanilla extract!! Now I want to know what the restoration man thought.

froggy said...

Luckily for me, he failed to show up!!!! Will be here Monday a.m. and I will not go near the vanilla bottle!!

MakingSpace said...

snort

Dani said...

I learn so much from you and Shamy!

Sam said...

How long does it take until you have a product?

froggy said...

4 weeks!!!