Tar and Abby

Friday, April 8, 2011

math magic


From Twitters -
"Blow your mind! Take the last two digits of the yr you were born -now add the age you will be this yr & the result will be 111 for all"

It works for every member of the Ponder family.
I loves this kind of stuff and my favorite assignment in grad school
was a lesson plan on math magic.
Like all magic it works by misdirection.
We're not talking his age, we're talking how far it is from 1900 to 2011.
Youngest son will be 22 years this year and was born in 1989.
Start at 1900. Add the years to his birth year, 89, add the age he will be this
year, 22 years
that takes us right up to now 89 + 22 = 111.

So you're adding the years between 1900 and 2011, which will always equal 111.

7 comments:

Big Shamu said...

WITCH!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mr.Mischief said...

"And then why do witches burn. Hmmm.."
"Because they're, made of wood?"
"So how do you tell if she is made of wood?"
"Eh.. Build a bridge out of 'er"
"But can not you also build bridges out of stone?"
"Oh yeah"
"Does wood sink in water?"
"No no it floats. Throw her into the pond!"
"Wait! What also floats in water?"
"Umm.. very small rocks. churches. lead!"
"A duck"
"precisely!"
"So logically.."
"If she weighs the same as a duck, then shes made outta wood."
"And therefore"
"She's a witch!"

Ahh, I love me some Monty Python!

froggy said...

I loves Monty Python too. My little brother can quote reams of it.

Mr.Mischief said...

I have every one of their movies, and every tv show on DVD..bought the Fawlty Towers series too!

David Dust said...

This is why I was never fond of math. Honestly, I read everything you wrote - twice - and it's like reading something in a foreign language. I just can't comprehend it.

Think I'll stick to blogging about boys and bunnies. Numbers make my head hurt.

XOXOXOXOXOXOXO

mrs. miss alaineus said...

loves this!

xxalainaxx

Joy said...

Fun with math!!

Me, too, Mr. Mischief! Love 'em!!